Yelp’s Systems team is seeking a senior network engineer to help us improve and scale our network for our future domestic, international, and corporate growth. As a member of our dedicated networking team, you'll be designing, implementing, and supporting systems for both corporate IT and our public website, yelp.com. Ultimately, you will be responsible for keeping Yelp’s network secure and reliable so our 102M+ unique monthly visitors can find great local businesses as fast possible and our 1400+ worldwide employees can be successful. Do you accept this mission?
Skills & Requirements
- Senior level networking experience supporting both corporate end users and large scale applications -- people have noticed when your stuff was broken.
- Strong Juniper (preferred) and/or Cisco experience -- you don’t have to know more than the vendor does, but it couldn’t hurt.
- Previous experience managing Internet connectivity with multiple peers.
- Load balancing, firewalls, and traffic analysis (individual packets/flows and trending) should be no big deal.
- Experience with software network tools such as iptables, Linux LVS, HAProxy, iproute2.
- Understanding that the network isn’t just the tube between a user’s laptop/tablet/phone and a switch -- being able to work with and appreciate operating systems, applications, and the people who develop them is a must.
- Knowledge of what to monitor on a network and how to react when the graphs change.
- Proficient at shell scripting/automation in any language you're comfortable with.
- Effective communication skills, both interactive and through documentation.
- Design/implement new infrastructure and improve existing corporate and production networks.
- Configure network devices and supporting equipment.
- Implement and support all of the important networking acronyms and abbreviations: ACLs, BGP, ECMP, OSPF, VIPs, VPNs, VRRP, OMG, BBQ, etc.
- Develop and advocate for good networking practices at all stages of the product and project lifecycle.
- Troubleshoot networking problems and work with other teams when the problem really isn’t the network.
- Improve our network maintenance and monitoring tools (rancid, nagios, cacti, ganglia) to help get to the root of problems quickly
- Participate in on-call rotation so none of our users are forced into a bad diner or stuck with a scary haircut no matter what time zone or country code they’re in.
About Yelp Inc.
Yelp has been changing the nature of how people share local knowledge and find out about what's going on in their city and beyond since 2005. We're one part community, one part local city guide, with an opinion on everything from mechanics and martini bars to dentists and dining, and everything in between. Doesn't that sound like something you'd want to be involved in?