We're looking for a C++ programmer/engineer to work in our sunny, Carlsbad, California office. Trust me, there's no better place work. We're looking for someone to help with software development, maintenance, and enhancement of an existing subscriber management and service delivery application, including equipment control, pay-per-view, audio response technologies, conditional access control, IPTV, FTTH, and much more. Software is deployed on both Windows and Linux platforms. Customers are located in 49 states and 44 countries worldwide.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelors or Master's degree in CS or software engineering.
Minimum of 3-5 years' Software Engineering Experience using:
- C++ and/or Embarcadero/Borland C++ Builder
- SQL Client/Server Applications
- Windows multi-threading
- Relational database tools
Preference given to applicants who also have experience with:
- Firebird or InterBase RDBMS (including stored procedures and triggers)
- Embarcadero/Borland Delphi application development
- Understand principles of real-time communication
- Strong TCP/IP Networking skills
- Interfacing to remote application servers over various custom protocols (TCP/IP, SOAP, XML, RPC, Serial, SNMP) and developing Server Side
- Programming Experience with Windows (Linux is a plus)
- Development of billing or customer care software
- Software for cable, telecommunications, or utility industries Preference given to applicants who have an average of 5 years or more at previous jobs. Candidates with cable operator or cable vendor experience preferred.
About Great Lakes Data Systems, Inc.
Great Lakes Data Systems, a 30+ year old cable billing company with customers in more than 40 countries and 49 US states, seeks a seasoned C/C++ Software Developer. We're looking to add an experienced Software Engineer who will enjoy a small, casual, high-productivity environment in North County, Coastal San Diego County. We're looking for an experienced engineer. Candidate must be experienced with the complete software life cycle from requirements development to coding, to testing and QA.
We’re a team-oriented company and everybody pitches in to make the customer happy! Our goal is to work together to keep our customers happy! Every employee is a key person; we’ve never had a layoff in our history. Dress code is business casual. Work conditions include a gourmet kitchen and a distinctly “family” environment. Several of our employees have reached their 20-year anniversaries. This is NOT a call center and we’re looking for a full-time, permanent addition to our team.
We pay 75% of comprehensive health insurance and we offer a retirement plan (Simple IRA) with matching 1:1 up to 3% of annual salary. Vacation/Holiday/Sick Pay. We're 3.6 miles from the ocean in a gorgeous office with full kitchen and large workspaces.
Joel Test score: 12 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?