We’re looking for smart and creative thinkers who care deeply about finding new and innovative ways to address old problems. As a Software Engineer at ZestFinance, you’ll use Ruby on Rails along with Agile development methods to develop applications and systems that are the foundation of our business.
The ideal candidate should think of herself/himself as a startup-minded engineer ready to take ownership and make large, immediate contributions. You can truly think through the product and have a strong influence on features, designs and roadmaps, developing smart and intuitive business systems. You are ready and willing to tackle anything that might come up within the development realm.
Specifically, you will:
- Design, scope and implement new systems and features - from financial transaction processing to innovative event-driven customer relationship management workflow processes
- Work with Product Management, Marketing and Business to define features, priorities and timelines
- Help us continue to improve on our commitment to the Agile principles, focusing on test-driven development, pairing and continuous process improvement
- Lead and mentor other team members and act as a subject matter expert in your field
Skills & Requirements
- Work with Product, Marketing, and Business to design and build the next generation of ZestFinance product roadmap features.
- Pair with full stack and front-end engineers to build and integrate APIs with rich, desktop and mobile-friendly front-end interfaces.
- Identify and evangelize programming best practices with the full stack software engineering and product teams.
- Work closely with DevOps and QA to ensure operational stability and performance while driving a culture of test driven development (TDD) and behavior driven development (BDD).
- Lead and participate in design / architecture reviews, as well as code reviews and walkthroughs.
- 6+ years of experience designing and developing web applications
- 4+ years of web application development using Ruby on Rails
- Experience with TDD/BDD methodologies and testing frameworks including RSpec
- Experience designing APIs adhering to the REST architecture style
- Experience with analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems (network analysis, performance and application issues)
- Experience with continuous integration tools (e.g. Github, Travis CI, Jenkins)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, e.g. EC2, RDS, S3, and Route53
- Experience with monitoring/alerting tools (e.g. New Relic, Airbrake, PagerDuty)
- Experience with Chef for provisioning servers and deploying applications/services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Strong work ethic and a can-do attitude
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Based in Hollywood, CA, ZestFinance was founded by Douglas Merrill - the former CIO of Google - along with a handful of ex-Googlers and Capital One folks to bring social responsibility to the consumer loan industry.
Traditionally, underwriting has used a handful of variables. ZestFinance takes an entirely different approach to underwriting using machine learning and large-scale big data analysis.
With a team of some of the world’s best data scientists from Google and lending experts from Capital One, ZestFinance analyzes thousands of potential credit variables – everything from financial information to technology usage – to better assess factors like the potential for fraud, the risk of default, and the viability of a long-term customer relationship.
ZestFinance offers excellent benefits, including health/dental/vision/life insurance, unlimited vacation, we contribute to your 401K, provide paid parking, reimburse for cell phone, home broadband, and gym memberships. All this and free lunch & snacks as well!