Bloomberg Law continues to expand its presence in the area of legal research by providing high quality, innovative legal research solutions. The company is committed to bringing disruptive changes in the industry to the way lawyers conduct research, keep abreast of current developments, serve their clients and attract new clients. Through BloombergLaw.com, we offer integration of legal research, news, collaboration tools and market information that is unmatched in the industry. Bloomberg Law is a unique opportunity to work for a start-up team and business unit but with all the benefits of working within a large, successful well established company.
Bloomberg R&D is seeking an energetic, highly-motivated and experienced software engineer to lead legal research Data and Search Architecture. The selected candidate will serve as the lead technical and creative resource for the planning, designing, detailing and implementation of a data architecture strategy and data navigation framework. The data architecture strategy will set the direction and priorities for implementing a data architecture framework to support the needs of the business and product strategy when and as needed, especially in context of creating an specialized data architecture to support a machine language and NLP-driven search and data navigation solution. The data architecture framework must include definitive and standardized data and metadata policies, data models, DTD structures, database structural design approaches, inter-relational data dependencies, and data warehousing. The framework must also identify an appropriate workflow process (automated and manual) to control and effectively manage the collection, conversion and enhancement of data flowing from various sources, both internal and external, into the defined data warehouses for use by editorial teams and products. The framework will also include policies and procedures to ensure the appropriate integrity, quality and security of the various types of data.
Skills & Requirements
Candidates for this position should have the following or equivalent qualifications:
- BS/BA, 5 of more years of experience as a data architect
- Prior experience as a lead data architect is desired
- Prior experience working with legal data is highly desired
- Prior experience working with large unstructured data sets is required
- Experience in creating requirements and design of data flows for content management systems
- Thorough knowledge of data modeling, data analysis, DTD development, and XML schema/database design
- Ability to effectively diagnose, isolate, and resolve complex problems pertaining to data infrastructures, systems and processes
- Ability to translate complex technical terminology, concepts and issues in terms understandable to technical and non-technical management and staff
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations regarding data integration, data integrity and data security
- Skilled at writing plans, formal requirements, specifications, data dictionaries, scenarios, and supporting diagrams and documentation
- Effective verbal skills at the technical and general business level in order to present and gain buy-in to the data architecture strategy by the product and business leaders
- Ability to provide thought leadership in this space
- Ability to effectively mentor less experienced data architects
About Bloomberg L.P.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.