You'll be part of a team of friendly, open and technically skilled engineers, deeply committed to developing our website and hybrid html5 / native mobile client application pages. Mainly focusing on using Scala and Java to build a middle tier to interface with web services. Your duties will expand into building performant web pages to run across multiple platforms. Using SBT, Maven and Grunt, you will help with the build configuration, which is stored in source control, as well as helping out with the building and maintenance of tests from the lowest layer (unit), up to our Cucumber backed acceptance tests (we’re strong believers in BDD). We also take time when we’re not busy to focus on personal projects within work (hack-days) that benefit the company. Nothing beats seeing something you proposed, worked on and released going into production. And if you like pool, foozball or arcade games, you’ll be expected to ante-up in the games room during break-time.
Skills & Requirements
- Strong OO development skills, honed in the workplace over several projects.
- The willingness to learn Functional Programming paradigms (even better if you already enjoy FP).
- You should love both working in teams – even when you produce individual works, it will be as part of the larger Shazam team.
- A good understanding of MVC architecture, how this applies to the web, as well as experience implementing websites using any of the current frameworks in the Java and Scala ecosphere (though experience with Play! Framework is a bonus).
- The ability to pick up additional tasks outside of the core skill sets of Java and Scala in order to meet the teams commitments (we love flexible people who like learning).
- Love of programming – in any language.
- Problem solving skills, that you can demonstrate, as well as a thorough and systematic approach / technique.
- The ability to analyse, iterate and optimise (rinse / repeat ad infinitum).
- Strong written and spoken English, in order that you can effectively communicate within and outside of your team.
- A working knowledge of how to measure and improve the performance of web-based systems.
- Passionate about not only technology, but also product, UX and the general quality of the things that you build and maintain on a daily basis.
- Self assured, confident, inquisitive, persistent and willing to argue your point – but at the same time, willing to take on the opinions of others and revise your stance based on the facts at hand. We love collaborators, who enjoy getting things done.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humour.
- Always reading, always learning, and always seeking to stretch your own mental capacity.
- A fast-paced, fun environment with smart people and a great opportunity to learn, grow and succeed!
- A great job in a cutting edge field at one of the largest and well-known mobile brand and properties in the world with a wealth of assets, opportunities and potential, yet a great opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the products and success of the business.
- Competitive benefits package.
Candidates must hold a valid UK work permit.
The role is located in our Hammersmith office in London.
Shazam connects more than 275 million people in over 200 countries to the music, TV shows and brands they love. Every week another 1.5 million curious people embrace Shazam. All this makes us the world’s leading media discovery company. It is an amazing app, available now on all major app stores and platforms.
We are headquartered in London and Palo Alto and have offices in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seoul and Sydney.