Charles River Analytics is an applied research and development (R&D) small business that thrives on developing new ideas to address user needs and advance the state-of-the-art of software support for the US Government (primarily Department of Defense).
As a Prototype Developer in Decision Management Systems, you will be instrumental in taking novel, disruptive concepts and proving they have potential through proof-of-concept web, desktop, and mobile applications. Armed with your ingenuity and vast coding chops, you will voyage across various projects, building necessary functionality quickly and effortlessly. You will be our software alchemist, transmuting ideas into tangible, interactive experiences.
So, who are you? You're MacGyver/Ms. Fix-It. Your fingers itch as soon as an idea comes to mind, clamoring for a keyboard so you can load your development environment. You thirst for the next challenge as soon as the last is sufficiently complete. Nothing pleases you more than winning over a user or customer with the software you crafted. Given a small amount of guidance, you achieve greatness. You never want to settle into doing one thing for very long, the world of software development is large and you want to conquer it all.
The specific tasks will vary based on the projects we are pursuing, but here are some examples:
- planning algorithms to maximize the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
- a missile defense simulation to test new strategies and algorithms
- a social discovery platform for intelligence analysts
- a malware analysis tool for cyber defense to understand how threats change over time
- a suite of web-based mash-up tools for people to combine data in new and interesting ways
- game AI for virtual characters in simulation-based training environments
- informative data visualizations across map, timeline, and network displays
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Two or more years of professional software development experience, ideally with exposure to the full software lifecycle
Proficiency in several programming languages (including Java) and technology stacks across desktop and web applications
- Experience with user interface (UI) development
- Experience working on many projects of various size, individually and as part of a team
- Keen to learn more about new languages and frameworks
Experience using third-party libraries, frameworks, tools, and infrastructures
- Experience with artificial intelligence or machine learning techniques
- Experience participating in hackathons and coding competitions
- Experience leading or contributing to open source software
- Experience with prototyping technologies and tools
- Experience with agile software development methodologies like Scrum
- Experience with mobile development
- Code and writing samples may be requested (please include a link to source code on your resume if you have one e.g. GitHub)
- U.S. citizenship is required for this position
ut not required:
About Charles River Analytics
Innovative Solutions through Intelligent Systems
Since 1983, Charles River Analytics has been applying computational intelligence technologies to develop mission-relevant tools and solutions to transform our customers' data into knowledge that drives accurate assessment and robust decision-making. Charles River continues to grow its technology, customer base, and strategic alliances through research and development programs for the DoD and the Intelligence Community, addressing a broad spectrum of mission areas and functional domains, including: sensor and image processing, situation assessment and decision aiding, human systems integration, and cyber analytics. These efforts have resulted in a series of successful products that support continued growth in our core R&D contracting business, as well as the commercial sector.
Since 1983, Charles River Analytics has been delivering intelligent systems that transform our customers' data into mission-relevant tools and solutions to support critical assessment and decision-making. Charles River continues to grow its technology, customer base, and strategic alliances through research and development programs for the DoD and the Intelligence Community, addressing a broad spectrum of mission areas and functional domains, including: sensor and image processing, situation assessment and decision aiding, human systems integration, and cyber analytics. These efforts have resulted in a series of successful products that support continued growth in our core R&D contracting business, as well as the commercial sector.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?