"The best programs are written so that computing machines can perform them quickly and so that human beings can understand them clearly. A programmer is ideally an essayist who works with traditional aesthetic and literary forms as well as mathematical concepts, to communicate the way that an algorithm works and to convince a reader that the results will be correct."
-- Donald Knuth, Selected Papers on Computer Science
As a software engineer at Thumbtack, you'll be responsible for bringing the Thumbtack vision to life. That means discovering, researching and implementing anything that moves us towards our vision, in collaboration with designers, product managers and the rest of Thumbtack. This often takes the form of new product features, but also includes improvements to Thumbtack backend matching system, internal tools to give us insight into Thumbtack ecosystem, engineering infrastructure to keep the team humming along, and anything else that feels like an exciting opportunity. In any case, as a software engineer, it always means managing complexity through thoughtful software design to ensure we can grow and scale our product without sacrificing development speed or quality.
We expect you to be excited by Thumbtack's mission to transform the local services economy, making it more efficient and useful for both sides of the marketplace. We deeply believe in the transformative power of technology in the services industry.
Our engineering process values ownership and individual contribution within a collaborative environment. To this end, you will have complete autonomy in choosing the kinds of projects you undertake. We expect you to take a deliberate and thoughtful approach to your decision-making while also exercising great freedom and creativity. We hope that you'll enjoy crafting sentences and paragraphs as much as you enjoy crafting methods and classes.
Skills & Requirements
- You like finding interesting problems in the world, then tackling them head on with dedication and creativity
- You are comfortable expressing yourself with written and verbal communication
- You like talking and engaging with users to help them express their needs in ways that can be used as feedback for future iterations of the product
- You're not one to pick up a hammer then look for nails, though you do like finding new hammers
- You appreciate a good statistical analysis and the power of data-driven decisions, and you like running A/B tests
- You're excited about the code you write, and work hard to make it maintainable for your future self as well as your colleagues on the engineering team
Build the Future at Thumbtack
Ever wonder why you can buy any product you want online with a single click, but you can’t hire a DJ, photographer, handyman, house cleaner, or any other service without making a dozen phone calls? So did we.
Thumbtack is making it dramatically easier for consumers to hire local service pros. We have incredible traction, a talented and passionate team, just raised $12.5m from Sequoia, and are excited to be solving a real problem for real people. Come build the future with us.
Why Should You Join Us?
Incredible Traction: We’re now helping millions of consumers a year across the country find the right pro and driving our business owners more than a quarter billion dollars worth of jobs annually. We’re just getting started.
Talented team: Our team is talented, fun, and passionate about what we do.
Enormous opportunity: Local services are a $500+ billion market and the space is wide open. This is your opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a dent-making company that is solving a real problem for real people.
Chef-Prepared Food: Our chef prepares lunch and dinner daily in our in-office kitchen. Lunches and Wednesday team dinners are a time to gather around a communal table and invite friends to the office.
High-Quality Health Care: Health, dental and vision insurance for you and your dependents, with 100% of premiums covered by us. We also cover the membership fee to One Medical so you’ll have access to high-quality, modern health care.
Compensation: Competitive salary and equity, and access to a 401(k) program.
Flexibility: We believe in working very hard, but we have flexible hours. We don’t have a vacation policy.
Beautiful Office: A beautiful loft office close to the Powell Street Muni and BART, bus lines and Caltrain.
Great Equipment: Huge monitors and the work environment of your choice, Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, whatever makes you most productive.
Thumbtack Bucks: $500 when you start and $150 per month thereafter to spend hiring service professionals on Thumbtack.
Education Reimbursement: $1500/year for books, classes, conferences or other educational expenses to help you gain new skills or expertise.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply
Please apply here: http://grnh.se/b0t32j