Thumbtack is looking for somebody to take the lead in managing our growing infrastructure and ensuring our site stays up and performs well!
Here is where we are at right now:
- ~15 dedicated linux machines fully managed via Puppet
- Our main data stores are Postgres (website backend) and Mongo (internal analytics)
- We use munin, statsd and graphite for monitoring
- Custom one-click deployment system written in python
- You can build and design tools and systems in Python
- Expert linux administration abilities
- Familiar with Puppet
- Experience dealing with various components of a complex site infrastructure
- You love monitoring
- You enjoy diagnosing and fixing misbehaving linux servers
Build the Future at Thumbtack
Ever wonder why you can buy any product you want online with a single click, but you can’t hire a DJ, photographer, handyman, house cleaner, or any other service without making a dozen phone calls? So did we.
Thumbtack is making it dramatically easier for consumers to hire local service pros. We have incredible traction, a talented and passionate team, just raised $12.5m from Sequoia, and are excited to be solving a real problem for real people. Come build the future with us.
Why Should You Join Us?
Incredible Traction: We’re now helping millions of consumers a year across the country find the right pro and driving our business owners more than a quarter billion dollars worth of jobs annually. We’re just getting started.
Talented team: Our team is talented, fun, and passionate about what we do.
Enormous opportunity: Local services are a $500+ billion market and the space is wide open. This is your opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a dent-making company that is solving a real problem for real people.
Chef-Prepared Food: Our chef prepares lunch and dinner daily in our in-office kitchen. Lunches and Wednesday team dinners are a time to gather around a communal table and invite friends to the office.
High-Quality Health Care: Health, dental and vision insurance for you and your dependents, with 100% of premiums covered by us. We also cover the membership fee to One Medical so you’ll have access to high-quality, modern health care.
Compensation: Competitive salary and equity, and access to a 401(k) program.
Flexibility: We believe in working very hard, but we have flexible hours. We don’t have a vacation policy.
Beautiful Office: A beautiful loft office close to the Powell Street Muni and BART, bus lines and Caltrain.
Great Equipment: Huge monitors and the work environment of your choice, Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, whatever makes you most productive.
Thumbtack Bucks: $500 when you start and $150 per month thereafter to spend hiring service professionals on Thumbtack.
Education Reimbursement: $1500/year for books, classes, conferences or other educational expenses to help you gain new skills or expertise.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply
Please apply here: http://grnh.se/jc5p83