We are looking for smart, innovative data scientists with a mix of analytical, software engineering, and problem solving skills to join our team. CCRi provides a challenging and fun work environment, competitive pay, generous retirement, and a very flexible vacation policy. Charlottesville is a great small city with lots to do, close proximity to Washington, DC as well as the Shenandoah National Park. If you meet any of the qualifications below, we encourage you to get in touch. We're open to entry level and experienced candidates with a solid technical foundation and desire to continue learning.
Our favorite tools include Hadoop, Accumulo, Scala, Python, D3, Java, OpenGL, and Postgres/PostGIS. We have a superlative team that includes Systems Engineers, Mathematicians, Computer Scientists, and Environmental Scientists who all bring diverse backgrounds to solve very difficult problems. Solving fun and challenging problems is in our DNA - we only take on interesting projects.
In recent projects we have designed implemented, and applied streaming random forests, restricted boltzman machines, graph theoretic techniques.
Skills & Requirements
- US citizenship
- MUST have TS/SCI clearance
- Bachelor's Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other related technical field.
Preferred experience - optional, but helpful, knowledge areas:
- Developing in a modern programming language (Java, C++, Python, Groovy, Scala, or Ruby)
- Enterprise Java Development (Java EE, Spring, REST web services, Hibernate / JPA)
- Traditional Databases (PostgreSQL, MySql, Oracle)
- NoSQL Databases (Accumulo, MongoDB, HBase)
- GIS (ArcGIS, Geoserver, PostGIS, OpenLayers, Quantum GIS)
- Cloud computing (Hadoop, Map-Reduce)
Preference given to candidates with active security clearance.
About Commonwealth Computer Research, Inc.
Commonwealth Computer Research, Inc, is a small analytics and software engineering company located in Charlottesville, VA. We provide custom software development and innovative information engineering solutions to customers in government and private industry. Our customers look to us to solve their hardest problems, and we have a long history of exceeding their expectations. With projects ranging from optimizing the world's largest container port to predicting future asymmetric warfare events, CCRi has no shortage of exciting projects. We apply numerous machine learning techniques to textual, spatial, and numeric data sets to answer key questions posed by our clients. We then implement these solutions into software systems with a strong focus on scalability, usability, and data visualization.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?