- Wikipedia is the fifth largest site on the Web, with around 500 million unique visitors and 18 billion page views per month. While our readership is growing, the number of active contributors has not kept pace. Volunteer editors are the lifeblood of our project; without them, there is no free encyclopedia. That is the problem you'll help solve as part of the Growth team.
- Develop experimental features that engage new and existing Wikipedia contributors
- Extend the MediaWiki platform through design, coding, and review to support new experimental features and A/B testing capacity
Skills & Requirements
- Ability to iterate quickly and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with version control systems (we use Git and Gerrit) and continuous integration systems
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Experience with A/B testing
- Experience with MySQL/MariaDB and/or other relational databases
- Experience with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) applications: security, cross-browser compatibility, etc.
- Experience with wikis and MediaWiki in particular.
- You know what it means to be a volunteer or to coordinate the work of volunteers. Big ups if you are a contributor to Wikipedia. (Please provide your username.)
- Show us your stuff! If you have any existing open source software that you've developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub, etc. are exceptionally useful.
- Please provide us with information you feel would be useful to us in gaining a better understanding of your technical background and accomplishments. If you have one or more technical blogs that you contribute to, send us the URLs.
- Creativity, self-motivation, and a good sense of humor
About Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit technology organization of around 150 employees. As a developer for the Foundation, you'll be testing new ways to make Wikipedia enjoyable and easy to edit — while maintaining the integrity of its content. You'll get to ship features to a top ten website, and go home knowing you've changed the world. Are you up to the task?