RAND is seeking an experienced research programmer with a variety of skills. Projects will include both Web and desktop front end development and back end database driven systems. The position requires working with a team of research staff to develop, implement and maintain various research applications.
- Developing applications, front ends, and surveys for research applications based on the appropriate technology for the job (Web, desktop, database, etc.)
- Developing and using relational database back ends to drive applications and for analytical purposes.
- Integrating and maintaining server-based applications.
Skills & Requirements
Specific technical skills required:
- Experience in a research environment
- Model View Controller principles
- Version control systems such as SVN and GIT
- Experience with at least one Web development framework such as Yii, Symphony, Backbone, or Ember
- Desktop interface technologies such as .Net/WPF, QT, JavaFX and Swing
- Experience with at least one desktop interface builder such as Visual Studio or QT Designer
- Experience with relational database technologies such as MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and Sqlite
- Experience eliciting requirements from users and iterating on a design before ever beginning the programming phase
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
BA/BS required, MS/MA preferred, preferably in Computer Science or highly related field such as Information Systems, Programming, Computer Engineering, etc
3-4 years minimum, 5-6 years preferred
U.S. Citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
About RAND Corporation
Overview of RAND
The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. For over 60 years, decision makers in the public and private sectors have turned to RAND for objective analysis and effective solutions that address the issues that matter most, such as health, education, national security, international affairs, law and business, and the environment. Our research is commissioned by a global clientele that includes government agencies, foundations, and private-sector firms. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has approximately 1,700 people from more than 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, with research organized across ten units and annual revenues of more than $250 million.
How to apply
If you would like to be a member of an organization that is working to find solutions to today’s difficult, sensitive and important problems, please apply online at our website: http://www.rand.org/jobs/id3443 (Job ID# is 3443). RAND offers competitive benefits including vacation pay, medical benefits, and tuition reimbursement. EOE.