Greenhouse Innovation is looking for an ambitious Back-end developer that helps us pave the way forward. You've been around the block in Back-end Land, but good is not yet good enough and your view is broader: you don't hesitate to show your skills in other disciplines and enjoy bringing the team to a higher level. You'll join us in our Amsterdam, The Netherlands-based office to create great products.
We're proud of our Selly retail platform (http://www.sellyamsterdam.com) that features apps & websites where we bring together real retailers and consumers, the social video network Snipper (http://www.getsnipper.com) and the related social conversation platform Snipperwall. This job posting allows you to work in these areas (and more!).
Skills & Requirements
What makes you perfect for the job (but hey, surprise us with your skills!):
- Efficient, scalable and secure APIs and backends make you smile
- You have at least 3 years of experience with Java, backend architecture and you follow what's happening in the area of Cloud, databases and storage
- You know how to write well-designed and re-usable code, creating your code around services and data access layers etc. is all known to you
- You are eager to put in the extra mile and you love to share your ideas with the team. We foster innovation and are keen to hear what you can bring to the table
- Finally, you don't object to free lunch with the team
About the job:
You'll help us extend & harden our Java-based backend infrastructure, help us make the jump to scaling it architecturally, instance-wise, database-, storage- and code-wise.
Buzzwords to help you decide: MySQL meets NoSQL, Java, Tomcat, XML, JSON, HTTP, REST, Jersey, OAuth, async programming, map/reduce, lucene, robustness, security, Apple PNS/Google Cloud messaging, Amazon AWS/EC2/S3/RDS/..., PHP, scripting and Linux knowledge is a definite plus.
About Greenhouse Innovation / Snipper
We're all about innovation & energy. We don't just say that, we do it - we're not consultants, we build, sell and market it ourselves! The Greenhouse and Snipper teams consist of a young & international crew. Our office is located next to one of the canals in the buzzing heart of Amsterdam and is situated in an old boat wharf, office boat and all included - what better place to mix creativity and heritage?
Joel Test score: 9 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?