Do you want to work on something that you, your friends, family and hundreds of millions of others use every day, and actually makes you smarter about how you spend your money?
What if you could do that with a bunch of really smart people in an environment that actively encourages learning, growth and individual development? For good measure, we'll even throw in the opportunity to explore technology from the UI to the database, and everything in between, all while working on products that world's biggest brands rely on in order to maintain their place among the world's biggest brands.
Every day, the Bazaarvoice engineering team tackles interesting and challenging problems across virtually every major computer science problem domain, and we do it all at a massive scale. So whether you're interested in server-side Java, UI/UX, massive datasets, mobile/social, natural language processing, sentiment analysis, or data visualization, we've got an opportunity for you.
Bazaarvoice is looking for outstanding people who are passionate about building great software, and want their work to have real-world impact. At Bazaarvoice, over the last 6 years our software has facilitated hundreds of billions of consumer-to-consumer conversations and interactions about products and services offered by the world's biggest brands and retailers.
The best part is that we're just getting started, and we need you to help us take things to the next level.
We are hiring full time stellar full stack software engineers with strong front-end skills for our Bazaarvoice Product Incubator / Labs team located in Austin, TX. The Incubator team is responsible for prototyping, piloting and proving new product innovations and new lines of business. We are looking for self starter entrepreneurs and hackers who love brainstorming new product ideas, rapid prototyping, and working with customers. In addition to launching pilots, Labs Engineers are responsible for exploring new social technologies, web APIs, and 3rd party and partner technology integrations.
- Passion for technology: 'nuf said
- Indomitable work ethic: Can you reject setbacks and enthusiastically persist until ambitious goals are achieved? Are you resourceful and innovative at tackling complex challenges in a timely matter?
- Flexible and adaptable: Do you love quickly learning new technologies and adopting new methodologies?
- Communicative: Will you take an "open source" attitude to quality assurance? Keeps others in the company informed and up to date on your priorities, current tasks and work completed. Encourages constructive criticism on your work?
- Accountability: Are you a results-oriented team player who leads by example, holds yourself accountable for performance, takes absolute ownership, and champions all aspects of customer and product initiatives? Do you believe in owning your product from design to supporting its production operation?
- Problem solver: Are you a strong, analytical problem solver with a common sense and practical solutions orientation?
Skills & Requirements
The ideal candidate meets these requirements:
- You should have a degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 2-5 years experience in web development and design
- Love of rapid, iterative customer-centric development
- Love for experimenting with new application development technologies and tool sets (e.g. Angular, Ember, Node, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Django, Grails, Scala/Lift)
- Familiarity with database (mysql), webserver (apache) and linux administration
- Familiarity with hosting and managing applications with Amazon Web Services
- A little bit of a hacker's mentality to get things up and running quickly (rapid iteration is the key to POC projects)
- A good eye for design and considerate of user experience
- Be hands-on, willing to dig in and crank out code.
- Be a learner, able to explore new areas, learn new things, and quickly apply them to solve new problems.
- Be a spark, bring energy, passion and creativity to work every day.
If this sounds like you, or someone you know, please give us a shout! We'd love to talk to you directly about the opportunities that Bazaarvoice has for you.
Bazaarvoice is based on a simple truth; when people talk to each other, people buy stuff they are happy about because they trust the opinions of others. We see a day when all voices are connected and, together, help the marketplace function better. That’s what our name means: the “voice of the marketplace.” We’ve built a network that connects businesses together to amplify the authentic voices of people wherever they shop – online, in-store and mobile.
Each month, more than 400 million people view and share authentic opinions, questions and experiences about 20 million products in the Bazaarvoice network. Our technology platform channels these voices into the places that influence purchases.
Our network helps businesses gain access to a wider audience of shoppers and trusted consumer content to improve sales and marketing. Insights from our network data help marketers and advertisers provide more engaging experiences, drive product innovation and performance, make better merchandising decisions and build brand advocates and loyalty.
Joel Test score: 11 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply
Please apply to the Bazaarvoice website below. Should you have questions, email email@example.com, and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.