The Solaris team is responsible for engineering, performance management, and administration of the Solaris SPARC environment within Bloomberg. This position in the team fundamentally requires proficiency in managing a large complex Solaris environment, but also in engineering new solutions, and maintaining an acceptable level of performance from Solaris systems.
This is not a typical Solaris environment; we are seeking an individual capable of adapting to, and handling unique challenges not seen in most Solaris installations.
- Participate in an energetic and active group environment. This means: Present ideas for review by a team of peers, seek ideal solutions through evaluation of merit, and achieve consensus on the final design.
- Engineer solutions for deployment, performance management, and maintenance of Solaris based systems with an emphasis on quality of design that is efficient, usable, maintainable, and extensible.
- Excellent Scripting skills. The candidate must be able to maintain and produce complex solutions written in KSH shell.
- Respond to performance related requests from application teams. Solutions to these problems are more likely to be found via DTrace and mdb than ps and the general Unix "stat" commands (vmstat, etc.).
- Respond to system API and performance related queries from application developers
- Package solutions for deployment in Solaris 11 IPS and very rarely Solaris 10 SVR4 packages
- Ability to work on medium to large scale projects
Skills & Requirements
- A deep understanding of Unix concepts to include performance considerations of each subsystem as well as the APIs used to access those subsystems
- The ability to develop and maintain existing Korn shell scripts as well as Perl scripts in Modern Perl style
- Solaris provisioning via Solaris 11 Automated Installer (AI) and possibly some Solaris 10 JET/Jumpstart
- mdb, DTrace, and snoop/tcpdump should look familiar to you.
- The ability to rethink established Solaris dogma
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 315,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Bloomberg BNA, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through the Bloomberg Professional service, television, radio, mobile, the Internet and three magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg Markets and Bloomberg Pursuits, covers the world with more than 2,400 news and multimedia professionals at more than 150 bureaus in 73 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 15,000 people in 192 locations around the world.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other classification protected by law.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please go to: