We're starting a local community revolution! Our goal is a "Meetup Everywhere about Most Everything", and we're on our way. We help people "use the internet to get off the internet" because Meetups change lives and can change the world.
We are profitable, growing, and committed to building an all-star, all-NYC company. We are a company that values doers over talkers and mentors over managers. We are a company where people who take risks and win are rewarded and grow.
Meetup has a great opportunity for an outstanding Systems Administrator to join our Technical Operations Team. You will get to work with smart and fun people on exciting things like high-availability services, geographic failovers, systems performance tuning, researching new technologies research and implementing them.
You're our ideal candidate if you have experience working with large development and production Linux-based environments, are fun to be around and quickly pick up new skills. You can work well on a team and take pride in getting things done quickly while delivering exceptional quality.
A job here means that your work will be seen by millions of people every month. Even better, your efforts will make this world a better place as you help build strong, lasting, real-world communities.
- Assist in support, maintenance and capacity planning of multiple production networks.
- Support and maintenance of development and QA environments.
- Support, maintenance and capacity planning of office network and systems.
Skills & Requirements
- 3 or more years related experience (personal projects can count towards this; we like self-motivated people).
- Great troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- A passion for learning new technologies and concepts.
- Ability to perform well under pressure.
- Experience working with Linux (preferably Gentoo).
- Experience managing large IP-based networks and their associated physical topologies.
- Experience managing high performance web infrastructure (apache, tomcat, varnish, etc.).
- Experience managing high performance data infrastructure (MySQL, MogileFS, Hadoop, memcache etc.).
- Good understanding of network and internet-related concepts such as DNS, HTTP, DHCP, TCP/IP, etc.
- Good understanding of network and systems security.
- Ability to spec hardware requirement for different services and software applications.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with tech and non-tech team members equally.
It is a plus if you:
- Can script in any of the following languages: Bash, Perl, Python and/or Ruby.
- Have experience being in and around data centers; and know about data center best practices.
- Have technical documentation writing skills.
Our team is smart, ambitious, supportive, and above all - we are excited by what we do. While meeting regular deadlines and being focused on quick, quality completion of projects, the environment is friendly, relaxed and fun.
Every member of the Meetup Team is expected to: be an Innovator; be a Collaborator; be a Champion for their ideas; be an Expert; have High Standards; be dedicated to the power of self-organized groups and our mission of A Meetup Everywhere About Most Everything ("MEME"); and most importantly, Get Stuff Done That Makes a Difference!
Check out our dev blog: http://making.meetup.com/
And scenes from our latest hackathon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEb0C-IPyA
If the above describes you and your passions, we want to hear from you!