The Senior Database Developer will be responsible for the design, development, and review of all database development activities to include implementation of new data schema, fields, or data values; Employing best database development knowledge to address performance, scalability, and efficiency issues with high transaction volume systems; configuring and testing new database features for new releases. Will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and responsible for providing leadership in Database architecture and design to all cross functions in the department.
• Design database schema based on data modeling of business requirements and entities.
• Document schema design in E-R diagrams using MS Visio and maintain data dictionaries for all tables.
• Write new stored procedures, functions, views, triggers, constraints, etc.
• Review SQL code written by application developers to ensure compliance to coding standards and best practices as well as maximum performance.
• Create deployment and rollback scripts for all database objects manually or auto-generated.
• Analyze access patterns and propose the best combination of indexes, constraints, foreign keys, and queries.
• Troubleshoot performance problems and propose short term fixes and long term solutions.
• Create SSIS packages for data transformation, cleansing, caching, aggregation, staging, and transfer.
• Work with Architects and lead developers to come up with optimal database design
Skills & Requirements
B.S. in Computer Science or related discipline and 10+ years related experience.
• At least 6 years of hands on SQL Server development experience.
• Expert knowledge of all aspects of SQL Server 2005/2008 Transact SQL including the ability to write and deploy effective triggers, stored procedures and user defined functions.
• Profound understanding of SQL Server concurrency features, transactions, and locking; Excellent data modeling and schema design skills, including normalization and de-normalization
• Full grasp of the pros and cons of table partitioning and distributed partitioned views and how large data volume affects replication in SQL Server environment; In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience developing, deploying, and maintaining substantial SSIS packages.
• Thorough understanding of best practices for database maintenance, including index and file management, backups, failure recovery, database defragmentation, documentation; Ability to analyze disk space requirements and hardware utilization, automate error notification.
• Basic SQL Server administration skills, such as backups, restores, taking and reverting snapshots, user/role security, access permissions, etc.
About American Institutes for Research
Be part of something innovative and cutting edge. Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
• advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country)
• mobile support for the user interfaces
• learning management systems with social media features
• user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
• innovative, machine-scorable items
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Senior Database Developer for our Washington, D.C. (Georgetown) office.