We’re actively expanding Thermopylae Sciences & Technology (TST) and we’re looking for engineers who are continuous learners, passionate, and are interested in developing Web-based geospatial capabilities for desktop and mobile applications in support of government and commercial customers.
Why work with TST:
- TST engineers are passionate and smart. We have a lot of flexibility in how we do our work, and take that responsibility very seriously.
- We care, we mentor and collaborate and give you room to grow professionally.
- We respect your skills and support career growth and continuing education.
- We have fun! We celebrate with regular Happy Hours, Chili cook-offs, and frequent team-building events.
- You will get to work with emerging technologies focused around Google’s products, elastic scalable compute systems, SMAQ stack, and the next generation of TST’s R&D.
Core Qualities in a TST Engineers:
- The ability and passion to continuously learn new technologies, programming concepts, and architectures.
- An interest in Geospatial and Mobile Software
- Teaching and mentoring others on technical topics.
- Understands supporting other development teams with custom platform technologies and SDKs and APIs.
We are looking for a highly motivated and self-driven senior developer who can work with semi-distributed teams of product managers, software architects and developers. TST’s Core Services is a powerful yet minimalist stack providing container-free abstractions for persistence, security and messaging across mobile, web and enterprise integration components. You will work with a team to design, implement and support TST’s Core Services platform - the underpinning technology for TST’s commercial products.
You will help to evolve this powerful platform in collaboration with Evaluation and recommendation of FOSS libraries for Core Services integration platform.
Skills & Requirements
- Expert in Java, particularly in low-level JDK APIs including non-blocking IO APIs, AST, javax APIs, java.security and JCA.
- Experience developing SDKs for commercial development, including Low level system design and high level API design. Documentation, guidance and mentorship is is critical in this role as a force-multiplier for Product Teams.
- Extensive expertise in authentication and authorization protocols technologies including OAuth, LDAP/AD, SAML and SSL.
- Fluent with the Linux CLI in a cloud environment, including Centos On AWS or GCE.
- Experience with JBoss/Wildfire application server.
- Expertise in Cloud and private cloud SAAS
- Strong asynchronous programming experience and knowledge of task-based and event-based asynchronous patterns.
- A degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Real-world Agile development experience
- Skilled in formal design and documentation of APIs, SDKs and architectural artifacts
- Programming in multiple paradigms with a focus on both object oriented and functional programming.
- Strong asynchronous programming experience including event-driven and concurrency patterns, high-volume transactions.
Other desired skills:
- GIS development tool experience including Google Maps Engine APIs, OpenMaps, ArcSDE and OracleSpatial.
- Jenkins, Maven, Git, Linux, Python, PHP
- Mobile platform experience in either iOS or Android
About Thermopylae Sciences + Technology
Thermopylae Sciences and Technology is a robust business that was founded in 2007. At Thermopylae, we focus on excellence in all we do. We particularly excel in Web-based geospatial capabilities, mobile software framework and applications, situational awareness, cyber security, and cloud computing. We pair industry experts in information technology with team members that are subject-matter experts on our customers’ key problem sets. The result: cutting-edge solutions that are tailored directly to our customers’ needs.
We’re actively expanding Thermopylae Sciences & Technology (TST) in Arlington, VA (or Remote), and we’re looking for entrepreneurially-minded people who are passionate, smart and can excel in developing Web-based geospatial capabilities, mobile software framework and applications.
Why work with TST:
- TST engineers are passionate and smart. We have a lot of flexibility on how we do our work, and take that responsibility very seriously.
- We care, we mentor and collaborate and give you room to grow professionally
- We respect your skills and suport career growth and continuing education
- We’ have fun, regular Happy Hours, Chili cook-off’s, free snacks
- You will get to work with emerging technologies including 3G, Edge, Wi-Fi, LTE and GSM
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?