We hire people, not skill sets. If you're a motivated, creative developer who wants to work in a lively and encouraging environment, let's talk.
Over the past 16 years we've cultivated a great group of people to work with. Our developers are smart, thoughtful, respectful, opinionated, dedicated, and fun. We don't hire often, but when we do, we value these qualities as much as technical abilities.
Founded by a former computer science professor, we keep the same feel as a small computer science lab (without the long hours):
- Challenging and varied projects
- An informal, comfortable environment
- Intelligent, engaged people
- Stimulating and respectful technology discussions
- Frequent mentoring
- A culture of camaraderie and helpfulness
- A uniquely egalitarian approach to development and design
Because teams at TechEmpower are small, ranging between 2 and 6 people, we need developers who can work on every aspect of an application ("full stack" developers). We rely on individual developers to do much of their own software design, with guidance and discussion. It's yours to build, and we want you to build it.
A typical developer will get exposure to 3 or 4 different projects over the course of a year, and each new project means new technologies, new people, and new approaches. We work hard to to improve each other's technical capabilities, so you'll never stop learning.
We pride ourselves on doing the best we can for our clients. This means helping them to really understand what they need, careful planning and design, and on-time, on-target deliveries, while maintaining a sensible work/life balance. You'll build quality applications and have fun doing it.
Also, we enjoy programming on high-performance workstations with 4K displays. A lot of code fits in 3840x2160 pixels!
Skills & Requirements
The technologies we use vary over time with our mix of projects. Here is a snapshot of what we're using now:
- Tools: Git, Jenkins (Continuous Integration), Sonar (static code analysis), Eclipse, IntelliJ, Ant, Maven
- Web: Dropwizard, .NET MVC 5, Play, Django, Rails, Mustache, Handlebars, Backbone, Angular, Knockout, JSP, Servlets, jQuery, etc.
- Mobile: iOS, Android, PhoneGap
- Hosting: AWS (EC2, RDS, etc.), Rackspace Cloud, Linux deployments
- Data Persistence: ORM (Hibernate, etc.), MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, NoSQL (Redis, MongoDB)
We don't expect new hires to have experience with all of these, but we do expect you'll learn more about them every day.
If this sounds like the kind of place you'd like to work, please apply!
Founded in 1997, TechEmpower (also see our Web Framework Benchmarks) offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including a fun, casual work environment. Meeting project deadlines and goals is absolutely crucial, and we strive to plan ahead well to avoid crunch times. People here are friendly and supportive, and open to helping each other work through technical challenges. We all enjoy the chance to help a coworker dig into a problem and come up with the best solution. Our design process is uniquely egalitarian, and encourages rapid professional growth. Everyone on a project team participates in design and technology decisions. We want people who can contribute ideas to make each project the best it can be!
Joel Test score: 12 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply
Please apply here: http://jobs.techempower.com/