We’re looking for a Senior Systems Administrator / Engineer to join our close knit team. There are a lot of fun projects coming up that we think you’ll be excited about as well as the standard routine sysadmin tasks.
Some technologies you’d help engineer / support:
- Mail systems: Currently Exchange 2007 + Cisco IronPorts for SPAM filtering. We’re going to Exchange 2013 this year.
- Virtualization: VMware vSphere 5.5, we have over 500 VM’s and 30 VMhosts. We run all the bells and whistles too, HA, DRS, Distributed Switches, SDRS, etc. Plenty of horsepower too, most hosts have nothing less than 384GB of memory, and everything has 10g networking. We’re currently only 50% virtual, so plenty of room to grow this environment.
- Storage: All iSCSI SAN for us, currently our primary infrastructure runs on Nimble Storage, and we have a small subset of Equallogic and Windows 2012 Storage Spaces for specific needs.
- Operating Systems: Primarily a Microsoft shop here, so we’re running anything from Windows 2003 (being phased out) to 2012 R2. There is a small percentage of our environment that’s Linux (CentOS), so if you happen to know that too, awesome.
- Other MS technologies: All the basic MS technologies you’d expect in a MS shop; Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, SQL, IIS, File Services, etc.
- Scripting: Our current language of choice is PowerShell, and we use it heavily here. If a task needs to be done more than once, there’s a script for it, or you can write one. There is some legacy Perl that still around, but that’s being phased out. On the Linux side, we’re looking at Ruby and BaSH.
- We need someone who can architect this stuff from scratch. That includes figuring out all the recommended practices, budgeting, project management, documenting and of course the fun part, implementing.
- No one’s environment is perfect, and ours is no exception. This role is one of a problem solver. We want someone who’s always picking the environment apart, and trying to figure out how we can do things better. Sometime its process changes, sometimes its simple tweaks, and then of course, sometime it’s the fun part of new technology.
- You need to be the senior level “go to” person when it comes to solving technology issues. It’s not to say we’re expecting someone to be an expert in everything, rather someone who’s good at figuring out complex problems and solutions.
- We’re ideally look for a jack of all trades, master of some.
- How many balls can you juggle? This person will have more than one project going on at a time, so being able to manage multiple projects / issues is important.
Skills & Requirements
We would like to see some minimums in your IT career. We understand that you don’t need to be in the industry for an eon to be expert, but there are certain things that only come with experience.
- 3+ years as a Systems Administrator
- 7+ years in IT, ideally demonstrating increased responsibility and capability throughout your career.
- 7+ years with Windows Operating Systems.
- 3+ years designing and managing a VMware vSphere environment
- 3+ years system administration automation/scripting (Powershell).
- 3+ years SAN, designing & administration.
- Experience deploying and troubleshooting distributed applications and servers.
- Must have experience working as part of a larger team that spans outside of the Infrastructure Team.
ASI offers a comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, 401(k) with company match, paid holidays, paid time off (PTO) and much more. Visit our company career web site at www.asicareers.com. Take this opportunity to join our successful team! Apply today! EOE m/f/d/v.
4800 Street Rd.
Trevose, PA 19053
Human Resources: email@example.com
About Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI)
Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI) is the largest business-to-business media organization for the promotional product and advertising industry, offering award-winning ASI e-commerce services to over 27,000 members. We produce web sites, databases and cutting-edge interactive business tools.
Awarded one of the 'Best Places to Work' on the Philadelphia Business Journal's list of mid-size businesses for providing exceptional benefits and programs for our employees. We also employ the latest technologies while maintaining a family-friendly environment for nearly 400 employees, headquartered in Trevose, PA. We offer on-site day care, café, car service, car wash and dry cleaning service. Visit us at www.asicentral.com.
ASI offers a comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, 401(k) with company match, paid holidays, paid time off (PTO) and much more. Visit our company career web site at www.asicareers.com.Take this opportunity to join our successful team! Apply today! EOE m/f/d/v.
Joel Test score: 8 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?