Maplin are looking for a talented System (support) Engineer with development skills to join our team. Do you want to engage in the design of the next -generation E-Commerce platform and infrastructure in the Cloud?
As a System (support) Engineer you will deliver the support to build a stable, scalable and distributed E-Commerce platform with Omni-Channel capabilities. The Platform and Infrastructure is the core of our services. In addition, we constantly strive for high availability, scalability and integrity. We are looking for professionals who are committed to help us develop our platform and Infrastructure, regardless of the underlying hardware / software. Our platform needs to be reliable and robust. You communicate directly with a team of highly skilled and independent people’ and internal customers. It is important that you can think from different angles and switch rapidly. It is practical insight and acumen needed. Your support and development will directly affect the people you work with and therefore you need to be very focussed on delivering upon promise.
Are you looking to work with the latest technologies, frameworks and methods? Are you willing to continue to develop your knowledge? Then we are looking for you!
Skills & Requirements
We're looking for a System (support) Engineer to own our daily estimated and month-end billing software runs. This will include identifying and resolving issues, automating and improving repetitive processes, and working closely with our Cloud Engineering and development teams. You will become intimate with the architecture of our systems and be responsible for diving deep into code and logs. You’ll drive prioritization of operational issues and be the customer ambassador in engineering.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 2+ years of development/testing/technical support experience
- Experience with Zendesk, Jira, Confluence, Geckoboard, Slack etc.
- Knowledge of the UNIX/Linux operating system
- Knowledge of Java and/or C++
- Understanding of XML/SOAP, API's, web services, workflow modelling, web application development
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Experience in a 24/7 production environment is a plus.
- Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, communicate effectively with a wide array of individuals at Amazon, and get the right things done.
- Proven ability to understand large systems, drilling down to code level
We are looking for smart individuals who enjoy being part of a small team working toward a shared goal. While we try not to get too preoccupied on specific experience, understanding of the following is desired:
- Provide support for our incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting tasks.
- Work on operations and maintenance driven coding projects, web technologies, with the potential for Java based projects.
- Software deployment support in staging and production environments.
- Develop tools to aid operations and maintenance.
- System and Support reporting dashboards.
- Customer notification and workflow co-ordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements.
- Experience in retail
- Experience with Hybris or other E-Commerce operations/platforms would be a pré
About Maplin Electronics Ltd
Welcome to Maplin Electronics LTD
If you are looking to join a business where you can progress, develop your career and make a difference, then Maplin could be for you. With a strong record of promoting from within, we pride ourselves on the people, products, teamwork and service ethic that make our business unique.
Maplin is a successful and growing retailer, with a clear strategy for continued expansion over the next five years and beyond, which will continue to create opportunities for hard working people who like to make their mark.
Whatever your background, you'll be valued and recognised for your skills and contribution. Our team is as almost as diverse as our product range!
We have been operating for over 40 years and are now a multinational company with established operations as far afield as Taiwan, China and Hong Kong, sourcing products to serve over 205 stores.
Many companies can conjure up statistics, but what you want to know as a potential employee is what is the culture like; what makes us tick?
Facts about Maplin Electronics LTD
We employ more than 2,500 people at both Head Office and in our stores
Our range covers more than 15,000 different products
We introduce up to 3,000 new products every year
Every year we sell to more than 11 million customers
Our customer service centre takes over 500,000 calls every year
Joel Test score: 8 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?