The Media Infrastructure team is looking for an experienced, motivated, devops-minded software engineer to join us in maintaining and improving our major sites eHow.com and Society6.com!
Team motto: Standardization, Virtualization, Automation, Documentation.
Our team is responsible for building and implementing infrastructure tools, automating the deployment pipeline, and working with development teams to help build scalable software.
A few examples of technologies we work with on a daily basis: Apache, Redis, Twemproxy, Memcached, Varnish, Solr, MySQL, MongoDB, Puppet, Splunk, Graphite, Nagios, New Relic, Git (Gitorious, Github), FluentD, Jenkins, Packer, Vagrant, RabbitMQ, Akamai CDN and video streaming, AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, RDS, Elasticache, Route53 autoscaling), Django, Tornado, nginx. We don’t expect you to know all these things right off the bat, but you should definitely be interested in learning.
- Engineering - Interface with engineering teams to understand code changes, assess risk and ensure best practices for operational tasks
- Be strong in troubleshooting technical issues, communicating and documenting procedures, and recommending architectural changes if necessary
- Operations - Provide adequate response to error alerts, ensure proper monitoring implementation and provide solutions to ensure 100% site up time.
- Participate in on-call rotation duties for emergency operations
- Be flexible, be team-oriented, have good communications skills, be generally pretty awesome.
Skills & Requirements
- 3-5+ years of experience
- Fluent in a programming language (Python, PHP, Ruby, etc)
- Must be able to directly communicate with developers on specifications and architecture required to support numerous project/features
- Experience with CDNs (Akamai, Edgecast, Cloudfront, etc)
- MySQL experience is a plus, Mongo or similar NoSQL experience is a huge plus
- Able to discern a network issue vs a system issue. Remove this period for consistency
- Proficient with deploying and managing systems utilizing Puppet (CFEngine and Chef experience is comparable)
- Knowledgeable with Red Hat package management (rpm and yum, building rpms)
- Able to dissect an existing application stack and convert the configuration of the system and application into an automated process
- Knowledgeable about monitoring and metrics for performance, not just uptime
About Demand Media
Demand Media (NYSE:DMD) informs, entertains and connects millions of people every day. Through a portfolio of vertical web properties reaching more than 100 million monthly visitors, a global network of digital partners, and a breakthrough content studio, Demand Media publishes what the world wants to know and share. Join the company that is shaping the future of media – how it’s created, consumed and shared!
How to apply
Please use the following link to apply: