Nativ has developed a ground breaking media asset management platform, MioEverywhere. Our customers are some of the biggest brands in the broadcast, content production, post production and distribution markets. In 2012 we doubled in size and grew by a further 50% last year which we plan to repeat in 2014. On the back of this we are looking to strengthen our software engineering team in London.
You will be required to build elegant, engineering focused, efficient and robust solutions which you will prototype first, you will liaise with our development manager and professional services team, understand requirements and specifications, and explore internal roadmap working alongside our on and offshore teams. Joining the Product team, you will help convert both roadmap and client requirements and specifications into elegant technical solutions, taking into account the technical, business and financial benefits of the design approaches you choose to take.
You will have a deep technical knowledge and naturally you will be highly intelligent. You are also upbeat, motivated and a self-starter; disciplined in managing your own time and capable of inspiring your colleagues on and offshore. Above all you will be passionate about technology.
Ideally you will have a background in designing and building world-class media management products and have full life-cycle product development experience. You will come from an enterprise software development background with at least 3 years’ experience of writing software, ideally spanning a wide range of technology-based disciplines and paradigms. You must be an expert in high-level and low-level component design and interface specification. You must also be able to consider cross-cutting concerns such as logging, reporting and event-frameworks; and have a pragmatic approach to refactoring and continuous improvement. Expect your software development skills to be thoroughly tested as a part of our selection process.
You will be working in a team, so communication skills must be first rate and you must be adept at expressing software design decisions to offshore teams. You must be able to quickly prototype potential solutions and analytically weigh up the pros and cons of alternative design decisions quickly and methodically.
If you have these skills and are enthused by the challenge then we look forward to hearing from you.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Experience and Background required for the Senior Software Engineer:
Key Skills and background
- A graduate in Computer Science or Engineering with at least 4 years of professional experience in software development
- Has a keen interest in the media space and multimedia technologies with a particular focus on OTT, VOD, workflow and media management and video transcoding, media streaming and content distribution on the internet
- Interested in the development of highly scalable, multi-tenant cloud based systems and disruptive business models
- Excellent written English and spoken communication skills
- Java, J2EE, Swing, servlets
- OO, enterprise design patterns and formal software design experience
- Tomcat and JBoss
- Video formats and standards (broadcast, mobile and web)
- Transcoding and encoding tools (Carbon, FlipFactory, FFMpeg etc.)
- I/O and network programming: Standard Internet protocols (such as TCP/IP, HTTP, SSH)
- Web/HTML and client interface technologies
- Virtualisation, load balancing and caching technologies
- Database design and integration
- Clustering and high-availability
- Enterprise storage and cloud computing
- Refactoring and continuous improvement
- Unit testing and test framework development
- Automated build solutions
Key duties of the Senior Software Engineer (Java, J2EE, media management) role will include:
- gathering requirements from clients through the Technical Architect team and from the Mio road map
- a key requirement is to maintain an active interest and knowledge of technology trends and to suggest platform improvements as needed to incorporate new technologies
- designing and prototyping solutions using OOD and enterprise design patterns
- working with the development team (on and off shore) to communicate designs, oversee development and code yourself
- monitoring development work and providing oversight at all times, keeping regular and frequent communication lines open with the Development team
- provide technical oversight and review of work packages
provide technical support to the Head of Delivery in driving the Product Roadmap forward
- Works well in a team
About Nativ Limited
Nativ provides MioEverywhere™: a platform that takes all of the pain out of video distribution, from content ingestion through delivery. It’s completely changing the way content owners get their video to market and some of the world’s most successful content marketers use Nativ’s services to support their video logistics operations.
Our MioEverywhere™ platform and our fanatical commitment to service and support means our customer get their video to market faster, with higher quality and flexibility, and at a lower cost than their competitors.
Nativ’s Core Values and Beliefs
- More Eyeballs, Fewer Tears: We provide content owners and brands with the most profitable and pain-free method of taking their content to the viewers that count.
- Too Much For Too Little: Content owners and brands are paying far too much for off the shelf components and taking on too much risk.
- We are Brave: Nativ isn't a follower; Nativ is a trendsetter and has the confidence and belief to innovate every day, both technically and commercially. We are picking a big fight with some big players. Nativ will endure considerable stress in the short term to realise its aims.
- Customer Care Equals Profits: We love our customers and share their concerns.
- Nativ is Exciting: Nativ will be exciting to work for and exciting to work with. Nativ will be perceived as hot, a trendsetter and a new breed of company.
- Nativ Only Works With A-Players: Average people without ambition, belief or determination to make a huge difference do not belong at Nativ.
- Every Second Counts: Our customers are in a hurry; nothing we do can be done slowly.