Signal is looking for an experienced engineering team lead to guide and mentor a team working on a core part of our system, our vendor integrations. The work we do on this team propels the system that gives our clients the ability to easily connect with their data partners and change the way they do business.
Signal is a real-time marketing technology provider. We offer an open data platform that helps brands make their data and technology assets work better together. Signal was founded as BrightTag in 2010 and is headquartered in Chicago.
We believe in code quality, testing, peer reviews, collaboration. We are multilingual. We believe in using the best tool for the job. We love open source, open communication and have created an environment where we treat people like adults, give them big problems to solve and the power to solve them.
We look for people who lead by example and crave in equal parts the freedom to solve technical problems and provide team direction. We keep our teams small (5-10) to make this possible. You care about your work and will do pretty much anything to bring structure and fun to the teams you lead. You embrace the crazy – and take it as a challenge to make things better – without a second thought. Oh, and one more thing. You’re a pretty nice person on top of it all.
If you have always wanted a chance to contribute to the creation and evolution of products that change the way an industry works, keep reading.
So, what would you be doing?
- Build, lead and always be working to develop a team of talented, challenged and happy developers and apprentices.
- Provide the technology for a platform that facilitates billions of requests monthly.
- Drive requirements, write great code and stay ahead technically. Participate in code reviews, testing.
- Collaborate. You'll be working with everyone—dev team, product owners, partner team, and senior management to innovate and get stuff done.
- Work to help us be the best team we can be by promoting great architectural practices, improving process and always wanting to learn more.
- Participate in HackWeek, Shark Week, demo days. Have fun and experience life at a growing tech company.
Skills & Requirements
What we need from you:
- You have team lead experience. You love to mentor, see people go on to lead their own teams and achieve greatness.
- Technical skills. You have experience working in large code bases and engineering features that are secure, scalable and highly available.
- Sense of curiosity and desire to always be learning.
- Deep experience in HTTP, REST, API design and SOA
- You are really smart and amazing but your ego doesn't require that you be the only smart and amazing person on your team.
- You are comfortable using source control (Git).
- A strong preference for open source technologies is a must.
- Already living in the area or willing to relocate from somewhere in the US. Sorry, this is not a remote position.
What's in it for you?
We take pride in our corporate culture and offer a competitive salary/bonus with great benefits, like: unlimited PTO, 401k, laptop benefit, health/dental/vision, STD/LTD, snacks, massage, parental leave, great colleagues.
Outside the obviousness of the job, like all Signalites you fall in love with new ideas, can’t stop learning, and are a pretty nice person on top of all of it. You get that even the most fun kind of work is work, consider putting in the hours an obvious necessity, and easily deal with change. You think well beyond what’s asked of you, live and breathe the minutiae of the work.
Signal is a global leader in real-time cloud-based marketing technologies, powering thousands of brands and agencies. We make it possible for our clients to collect, connect and take smarter action on their cross-channel customer data in real time, from websites and beyond – including mobile, social, email, ads, point-of-sale, CRM, call centers, kiosks and more. The work we do makes it possible for our clients to deliver smarter, more relevant cross-channel marketing that improves engagement, conversion and loyalty.
Our technology supports top brands that generate more than $1.5 trillion in commerce, including Allstate, Audi, Crate & Barrel, DeVry University, GAP, JetBlue Airways, Macy's, 1-800-Flowers, Starcom MediaVest Group, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and more.
If all this sounds like fun, send your resume and a quick note explaining why you’d make a great addition to our team. Please don't send me a generic cover letter than you've cut and pasted into an email. Please know we will only respond to people who meet qualifications and on whom we develop a professional crush.
Write: Lisa O’Keefe, VP of Talent & Culture
PLEASE: NO THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS OR CONSULTING FIRMS.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?