Location:San Diego, CA, USPosted Date:2014-05-08 00:00:00.0
About the Job
How would you feel about the opportunity to work for a company that runs one of the largest distributed systems in the world, handling over 20% of the world’s Internet traffic? We are seeking an outstanding senior application software engineer for our Media Workflow team to help design and build the next generation of products for the media industry.
About the Team
The Akamai Media division is responsible for all of the software used to deliver, download, store, and manage digital media and other content via the Akamai network. You will be part of a highly skilled engineering team that's responsible for creating the software that runs Akamai's world-wide network, one of the largest distributed systems in the world. We handle the traffic in a scalable, reliable, and secure way for some of the busiest and most important sites around the globe. Leveraging our global deployment of 100k+ servers in 1,000+ networks, we can uniquely solve problems and exceed fundamental limitations of traditional networking. Based in San Diego, Media Cloud engineering specifically focuses on strategic products that enable media solutions for our customers, including analytics, content workflow, encoding / transcoding, security / entitlement / identity management, and media players.
Akamai is looking for a Senior Application Software Engineer to help architect and build the next generation of libraries, components, and workflow solutions for a variety of products and services. Change how you see television and how you consume video on the web and on mobile devices. In this role the candidate would have the opportunity to work on products that will see deployment on Akamai's Global Network and used by the top media and entertainment companies.
* Design and develop components written in Python and other languages.
* Interact with development, product management, architecture, QA, and support teams throughout the product lifecycle.
* Maintain standards for reliable, scalable, and secure systems.
* Bug fixing & troubleshooting complex problems in a timely and accurate manner.
* Feature research and feasibility studies.
* Provide 3rd level support and training for engineering and support/services.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* 5+ years of experience in Object Oriented design and development
* 2+ years of experience in software development on Linux
* 2+ years of hands-on development using Python or similar languages
* 2+ years of experience using statically typed languages, such as C/C++
* 2+ years of experience with Internet protocols, particularly HTTP/HTTPS
* 2+ years experience with computer security technologies
* Knowledge of media streaming technologies, protocols, and formats, particularly Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) and MPEG-DASH.
* Knowledge of media content protection methodologies, including geo-targeting, link protection, conditional access, and Digital Rights Management (DRM).
* Experience with open standards for secure authN and authZ such as OAuth and SAML.
* Experience with the Django Web application framework.
* Experience with distributed no-SQL technologies like BigCouch and Cassandra.
* Experience with Apache ZooKeeper, Memcached, RabbitMQ.
* Experience with the architecture of large, distributed and complex systems.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong understanding of Object Oriented design and development.
* Ability and passion to maintain high quality standards, be self-motivated, a fast learner, and have the drive to research and innovate.
* Is relocation available for this position: No
* Is US Citizenship required: No
* Is a Security Clearance Required: No
About AkamaiAkamai® is the leading cloud platform for helping enterprises provide secure, high-performing user experiences on any device, anywhere. At the core of the company’s solutions is the Akamai Intelligent Platform™ providing extensive reach, coupled with unmatched reliability, security, visibility and expertise. Akamai removes the complexities of connecting the increasingly mobile world, supporting 24/7 consumer demand, and enabling enterprises to securely leverage the cloud. To learn more about how Akamai is accelerating the pace of innovation in a hyperconnected world, please visit www.akamai.com and follow @Akamai on Twitter.
If you're excited by Akamai and would like to help change the online landscape please apply. No time to apply? Join our Talent Community.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. EEO is the Law