Do you want to revolutionize the way people learn online? Do you have strong product ideas, and an enthusiasm for building and shipping rapidly? Codecademy is looking for a versatile full-stack engineer who is passionate about teaching technical skills to millions of people across the world, and building the best online learning environment. If you value creating polished digital experiences, building scalable systems, and understanding customer and business needs to create awesome web and mobile products, Codecademy is the place for you! You are someone who is familiar with the full software life cycle, can adapt quickly with a small, collaborative team, and thrives on envisioning, building, and implementing new products from scratch. You’ll work directly with our co-founders, product engineers and lead designer to help make product decisions, and prototype new or experimental features that will impact millions of worldwide Codecademy learners.
Skills & Requirements
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
- Experience building at-scale production applications on top of a cloud architecture (preferably including AWS)
- Familiarity with scaling at least one type of database system to 10,000+ R/W operations per second.
- Proven track record of having built and shipped a large web application
- High standards for code quality and testing
- Experience managing, hiring, or leading a team of software engineers
- Experience using Ruby or Node.js in a production environment
- Experience building and administering systems related to virtualized development environments, API and recommendation engines
- Ability to participate in high level strategy discussions, work in areas outside of your comfort zone, and work quickly to get things done
Codecademy helps millions of learners around the world get the skills they need to succeed in today’s digital world -- all in a way that’s fun, free, and accessible anywhere. Codecademy offers an entirely new, networked approach to learning in which you interact with students across the globe, build amazing projects, and - most important - apply your skills to improve your life.
Joel Test score: 10 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply
Check out all our open engineering positions at http://www.codecademy.com/jobs