UI Engineering at TiVo is responsible for the software development of the world's best user experience in the digital living room: a center for sharing and experiencing television, movies, streaming video, music, and more.
We are seeking a highly talented and experienced UI Architect to join the team. You'll be one of our senior technical leaders providing key oversight of code architecture, design and implementation across multiple platforms.
Here is what you'll get to do:
- Take ownership and drive the UI software architecture and design of TiVo's visionary user experience - one that is smart, simple, fun and connected
- Work collaboratively with User Experience, Engineering, Program Management, Product Marketing, Quality Engineering and other teams within TiVo
- Distill business and functional requirements into detailed technical designs that take account of long-term sustainability and reduced cost of implementation
- Lead teams of engineers in a cross functional environment to implement high quality and testable UI software
- Guide and mentor the teams on best practices
Skills & Requirements
Here is what you'll need to be successful:
- 10+ years of experience designing and implementing best in class applications and user interfaces in a variety of different programming languages
- Exceptional object-oriented application design skills
- Proven track record of shipping outstanding UI, especially on embedded, media-rich products
- Deep understanding of performance optimization of client/server systems
- Experience with multi-threaded scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python) and web technologies (e.g. HTTP, XML, SSL)
- Experience in a Linux/Unix development and build environment
- Experience working with complex build systems and SCM – managing and releasing using multiple active branches
- Collaborative and product-focused attitude
- Strong ability to learn new technologies in a short time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS in CS or equivalent is a must. MS is desirable.
What will really get you noticed by our team:
- Prior role as UI Architect or equivalent experience serving as technical lead for a large team of developers
- Embedded multimedia and UI experience, especially on video-based platforms
- Experience designing and building a significant UI toolkit
Joel Test score: 11 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
How to apply