- You understand iterative development, a day without pushing code makes you sad
Skills & Requirements
- Can solve technical problems equally well with OO, DOM oriented, or functional JS
- Solid understanding of the web technology stack (i.e. headers, cookies, cross-domain restrictions, https, caching, optimization opportunities, etc.)
- Demonstrable experience with cross-browser JS and CSS development
- Experience with client-side site development in JS
- Comfortable with server side templating languages (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby) and ability to dive into controller/view code when required
Not Required, But Impressive:
- Experience with CoffeeScript, SASS, and LESS
- Experience with more recent web technologies (i.e. localStorage, geolocation, CSS transitions and transformations)
- You have experience with various AWS services and understand the challenges of deploying large applications in the cloud.
- Experience with Selenium and other front-end testing technologies.
Trove is a digital news innovation group within Graham Holdings (formerly The Washington Post Company). We are a team of engineers, product managers, designers, editors, and business people collaborating together to develop a next-generation news experience on mobile and web.
Joel Test score: 11 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?